In today’s episode, we are joined by Rilla Delorier. Rilla has over 30 years of experience as an executive leader within the financial services industry, serving as a trusted advisor to the CEOs of PNC, SunTrust, and Umpqua Bank. Tune in as we uncover how niche customer segments have completely upended the traditional way of thinking about banking, why it’s important to go after unmet customer needs, and the power of FinTech's approach to agile innovation.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [02:08] Rilla’s career background and companies she has worked with.
- [08:11] Importance of going after customers’ unmet needs.
- [14:42] Rilla shares some exciting FinTech companies that focus on niche segments of customers.
- [18:34] How is FinTech going to reshape the banking and financial landscape?
- [22:15] Why are FinTech companies so successful with niche segments of customers?
- [30:38] The difficulty of managing near-term performance as an organization while transforming.
- [32:03] Combining omnichannel, digitalization, and human touch.
- [39:10] What we hope you will take from this episode and apply to your business.
- It’s easier to do great experience strategy in organizations that are focused on organic growth, vision, and understanding the customers unmet needs. Experience strategy can only thrive if it’s supported from the top down.
- Organizations need to be clear on their purpose and the experience design team should constantly check in and ask, “are we designing to achieve that purpose?”
- Companies need to look at who the underserved populations are. Challenge the rationale for your targets early on and then find new ways to meet those customers needs. In doing so, this could create new opportunity spaces.
Rilla Delorier has over 30 years of experience as an executive leader within the financial services industry, serving as a trusted advisor to the CEOs of PNC, SunTrust, and Umpqua Bank. She ran a $2.7 Billion Retail Banking Business and has led enterprise functions, including technology, marketing, digital, innovation, analytics, and call centers. Rilla has her MBA from Harvard and started her career as a top-performing consultant at Bain & Company.
She is best known as a leader that helps companies transform operating models, unlock customer growth, and streamline expenses while delighting clients and inspiring employees. Rilla has the ability to combine strategic vision with a pragmatic approach to executing bold change. Rilla is a globally recognized leader across the banking industry -- she is a frequent key-note speaker and advisor. Rilla has been awarded “Top 25 Most Powerful Women in Banking’ in multiple years.